Some things for which I’m thankful:
1. I am thankful for all the things I never wanted to experience but did anyway. The things I cried out against, and the ones that have felt nothing but unfair. What I want is oftentimes not what I need in the first place, and it’s through these experiences, and not getting things my way, I’ve grown the most.
2. I am thankful I have come to understand the range of emotions a human being is capable of experiencing. From the lowest of lows all the way to the highest of highs.
3. I am thankful I have watched people walk out of my life, for it has helped me to understand the importance of making the most of what is in front of me, while I have the chance.
4. I am thankful I have watched some of the same people return, for it has helped me see that nothing is certain, nothing is for sure. Life moves in circles and unruly shapes and patterns—not a straightforward path. Nothing is linear and it never will be.
5. I am thankful I carry with me the pieces of a broken heart, recognizing these pieces are not only a part of who I am today, but are valuable pieces of the puzzle of the person I am continuing to become.
6. I am thankful I have let parts of my life mean so much to me that their absence has driven me to fall apart to the point of feeling paralyzed, and down for the count.
7. I am thankful I have gotten back up—that at each and every one of these paralyzing turning points there was something that was there to grab me by the hand and pull me forward. Not something that was given to me by, or found within, someone else, but rather something that I was forced to find deep within myself and bring to the surface with God’s help alone.
8. I am thankful that somewhere in my soul I have been able to maintain faith that there is a God who hasn’t given up on me yet. It’s because of my faith that I have been able to continue on everyday. And I’m so very thankful for that gift of faith.
9. I am thankful I can’t go back to try and desperately fix the mistakes I’ve made. Even on the days I wish I could. I know they have become a part of who I am, and are all scars that are chapters of my story for a reason.
10. I am thankful I’ve experienced rejection and humiliation, for as ashamed as I felt at the time, it’s made me a stronger person, and given me necessary perspective.
11. I am thankful for my God Who has always loved me, even when I’m unlovable.
12. I am thankful for a husband who loves me and takes care of me even when I fight him on that because I prefer to take care of myself. Through his patient persistence in helping me when I need help, I’m learning that its sometimes healthier to allow others to help and to even ask for help at times.
13. I am thankful for the funny, amusing, positive, good, and encouraging things that happen daily. Life is so interesting and funny most of the time. I just have to pay attention.
14. I am thankful for people who encourage me, think of me, lift me up, pray for me, care for me, check on me, laugh with me, and put up with me. As much of an introvert as I am, I was, as all of us, created to be in fellowship and am not whole without that. I’m thankful for people who persist in reaching out to me and for those who find creative ways in which to do that.
15. I am thankful for each day of life. What a gift each day is! And the gift continues all day. It’s like opening a Christmas present every minute of every day.
Thank You, Father, for all the above and for so many other things. You know more than I what I need. Thank You for your loving thoughtfulness in allowing me to grow and mature slowly but surely. You have begun a good work in me and I trust You will continue in completing it! 😀